Monday, January 5, 2009

Money on the go

I went to this outdoor event here and I saw the strangest thing. Because this event is sort of far from any shopping centers, there were not 1, but 2 ATM trucks. Yeah, that's right. A truck with an ATM built into it. There were special stairs connected so that people can reach the ATM machine. These trucks were provided by a major bank here. The kicker is, these trucks were not guarded at all. In fact, there wasn't even someone in the driver's seat. If you place these unguarded trucks back home where I'm from, they wouldn't have lasted 2 seconds. Someone would have stolen them right away. Now, it is a good idea that the trucks were there given that it was a bit isolated; and I'm guessing that did help with sales that customers didn't have to go far at all to obtain the money to make their purchases. But, when I saw that these trucks were not manned or guarded by anyone, ....I just couldn't help but busting out laughing. I imagine that would make a good monologue for any comedian in the states. To be fair, maybe there was some type of alarm or something on the tires that would make it hard for any burglar to steal the trucks without making a big scene. However, I didn't see any type of thing. Just goes to show how things here are a lot different from back home.
Blogged with the Flock Browser

2 comments:

Anonymous said...

haha that's so funny...i have yet to see one of those.

I'm sure there's some sort of security mechanism. Maybe even a GPS tracker? Either way, one of the first things I was told when I got here was that crime in Qatar was minimal at best....and I can see that...when people leave their car running and go shopping...that definitely means that this place is safe lol!

AM said...

Dude,I could never leave my car running and go shopping!--Unless of course it was too old to sell and I was hoping it would get jacked by some teenagers.hahaha In my mind, I'd be thinking "Bye-bye car!"