Saturday, August 16, 2008

Remembering Amy Knapp

I just recently found out that Dr. Amy Knapp, one of my fave grad school professors passed away in May. She taught Government Documents and was one of the coolest professors I've ever met. Although she has her doctorate, she insisted on her students calling her Amy. She was one of those professors that people said " You have to take Amy's class before you graduate. You won't be sorry." And it's true, because that was the most enjoyable class I had. Even though, the class was from 6-9, she had a way of teaching that just made people pay attention. Because she was so laid back, I felt comfortable asking questions during class. She took a real interest in me to make sure I understood the material. On top of all that, she was super stylish.
She had a lot of funny stories to tell us. I'm telling this the best way I remember, so if I've missed anything, please let me know.While she teaching our class she worked full time in the main library. One time while she was at the reference desk, she saw a woman walk in, sit at a computer, and open the library's home page. She typed something and emphatically pressed a button and looked over at Amy. At first Amy didn't notice, but the woman kept doing this over and over again-typing something, loudly pressing one key, and turning her head towards Amy. Finally, the woman walked up to Amy and said, "I've been pressing the "Help" button for the last 10 minutes and you haven't come to my computer!" As cool as she was, Amy went over to help her and then let her know that the best way to ask for help was to come to the desk. She had our class rolling with laughter.
And that's the type of person she was. She will surely be missed.

Blogged with the Flock Browser

2 comments:

Kel said...

Hahaha, funny story. I'm sorry to hear about her death, she was so young :( Thank for honoring her and us with your memory!

AM said...

No probs. She was an awesome good-hearted person :)