Saturday, August 2, 2008

Good bye radio station

Ok, so one thing I do like about living in the middle east is the radio station that's all Quran. Not that I'm the most religious person, but I do like listening to it, especially when I'm driving. I've developed a "mouth like a longshoreman" or " a Soprano mouth" in adapting to the driving patterns here in the middle east, so listening to Quran helps to humble me and watch my mouth....sort of, when I'm driving. Anyways, now the station is no longer on the air. It's been replaced with traditional native music. As if there's not enough stations with that type of music already.
At the same time there's talk of starting a dress code for expats here. Not that they're related,but i do find it kind of odd that this station has been taken off the air and at the same time there is talk of a dress code to conform with Islamic society. So if the Qur'an is the heart of Islam doesn't removing this station from the airwaves show the value placed on religion in society? Just saying....

4 comments:

Kel said...

Ummm, forget Queran being taken off-air. What about dress code and the clothing that is actually sold in Doha??? I'm mean, it just compacts the already substantially placed hypocrisy. I find myself shopping online for my clothes because even in the states I wouldn't wear some of the street walking attire sold in the stores here. And why do mannequins need nipples?

Kel said...

By the way, love the Soprano's reference. I too have found myself with a potty mouth since watching this fantastic show and even now, I'm drinking wine and listening to Bocelli...hahaha, tell me that's not Italian mob? hahahahahaha :) Might have to whack someone next.

AM said...

hahahaha yeah some of the clothes are pretty skanky! Never noticed the mannequins

AM said...

It's so easy to fall into that pattern though i think I started talking like them even before I watched the show....Yeah the way you're going, I wouldn't be surprised if you got recruited for the next Soprano-like show hahahaha